Tuesday, May 31, 2011

MCM FILM CLUB...


A little while ago, I, along with some fine style bloggers, went along to Mademoiselle Robot's inaugural MCM Film Club, held in the downstairs salon of the flagship store in Sloane Street (after hours of course). The theme of the night was 'breaking style boundaries', so obviously it was necessary to watch a Katharine Hepburn film. The film we watched was Bringing Up Baby, the 1938 Howard Hawks film starring Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and a leopard called Baby. How I could ever have missed out on a film starring Cary Grant (who I love), a large cat and amazing costumes I don't know, but this was the first time I'd seen it. The word screwball could have been invented just to describe this film, and though I would find it hard to relay the plot coherently: she tries to drive off in his car, he's a palaeontologist, but she thinks he's a zoologist, he's lost this important dinosaur bone and needs to get more funding from this rich lady who turns out to be...anyway, never mind, it's very funny and Cary Grant ends up wearing a marabou trimmed negligee.


The next film club night is coming up, but the film being shown is to be decided by you - if you can get to London for it (date TBC) and would like to come, leave a suggestion in the comments of your favourite exquisitely costumed classic film and if it's chosen, we can all watch it together. As an added bonus I will surprise and amaze you with how many marshmallows I am able to consume in two hours.

7 comments:

RD said...

seems like great fun! i saw an another grant film for the first time recently, monkey business... xo bb

Hila said...

I'd love to have a club like this in my local area, I'd totally go.

I really enjoyed 'bringing up baby', such a great film.

Rose said...

Hepburn and Grant and a leopard, never was there a better combination of chemistry. I'd love to go to the film club, especially if the films will always be this good

Claire said...

BB - Cary Grant is always inspirational! Been tying a little bandana round my neck worn with a striped matelot just like he did in To Catch a Thief - forget Grace Kelly's gowns...

Hila - let's try teleporting you!

Rose - do you have a favourite film you'd like to see? Tell me and I shall put it forward to the er, committee!

chrys campos said...

Would love to join the film club! My suggestions would be:
Grey Gardens
La notte
Jules et Jim

E. said...

Ooooh, Bringing up Baby, one of my all-time favourite movies! Great that you feature it on your blog! Somehow Comedy was so much more interesting and stylish than it seems to be nowadays, don't you think? Plus, nothing beats a beautiful big cat!

Films that really deserve a second chance at an audience, are in my opinion, the movies by French filmmaker Eric Rohmer. True, the French love movies in which people do an awful lot of talking, but there is something about their atmosphere that always makes me feel light and pretty.

xx E.

Rose said...

sorry! oh I don't know, I'd have said this maybe, or the Philadelphia story, or Annie Hall