Monday, February 16, 2009

FALLING LIKE...


Belatedly adding my little voice to say I will be sad to see Domino, the one and only magazine this former magazine addict subscribed to, go. I also think Conde Nast are total idiots not to keep the Domino website up and running as a subscription site.

Before the MA (moth apocalypse) when I had time for such things, I was trawling through the website trying to save images before they take it down. But there was too much good stuff. I always really liked the little how-to videos - especially the gardening ones, which soothed me through many an insomnia fuelled night. I'm glad to see that lots of people have been posting their favourites - (here is a good place to start) so maybe eventually some of the goodness will be preserved. I found it too overwhelming to go through everything though and then MA happened. So here's my favourite of all - Amedeo Pace and Kazu Makino from Blonde Redhead's apartment shot by Coliena Rentmeester.










9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well isn't it always that way? everything that is cool is stopped and ceases to exists versus...
anyway i share your rant and i think many do as well.

oh and i just love mr pace ms makino's abode....and really truthfully...i am getting a tad nostalgic for wall paper, but good wallpaper! ( perhaps wallpaper is becoming my proustian madeleine??? )

nancy

Rose said...

I agree it's bad enough about the magazine but they could keep the website running.
I was more of a late comer so am trying to buy back issues on ebay which is expensive but worth it as there is nothing like looking through an actual magazine.
My favourite pics recently are Zooey Deschanel's apartment. Not what I expected but lovely

July Stars said...

I know how you feel about Domino but there are still several good sources of interior design inspiration: Apartamento, Architectural Digest France and US Elle Decor.
I hope you're recovering from the MA!

Anonymous said...

I know. I was a sad when I learned of Domino's passing. I actually bought (even though I subscribe) the final issue at Grand Central Station last week. And PS: Do you have the book? The Domino Book of Decorating? If nothing else it is a eulogy and legacy all in one.

Elizabeth MacCrellish said...

oh my god oh my god oh my god

I'm still back at the moths-- reading, catching up FUH-REAKING out for you (after the event now, obvs) and all around thinking it is HIGH time you came for a visit to the states, NH in particular-- but do not bring ANY moths with you-- except, you know what? they would all freeze here . ..

so sorry for the infestation (do they make cards that read with that title? . .hmmm an untapped market, methinks)

~bp

Claire said...

Oh BP how I wish the moths were after the event! Still very much in the middle of it all - with my entire wardrobe in the dry cleaners or thrown away and poison lying around everywhere (for Lola to tread in and get poisoned by) which will be renewed in 2 weeks. I will come and visit - they can fumigate me at the airport or something like how they de-ice planes. x

The Spicers said...

So sad to see Domino go. I just got a year's subscription as a Christmas gift.

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

such sad news i really loved their decor book and was going to subscribe, guess i was too late!

these images are so gorgeous, loving that blue & white wallpaper especially

Anonymous said...

This is too cool. I was checking all I could find about Amedeo Pace and I found this!
I didn't remember it from last year, but in the past month I've been listening to Blonde Redhead a lot, and I have developed this mild crush on Amedeo...
xxx
Mia