Monday, August 18, 2008

TOO LATE...

I had got it into my little head that all I need to buy to update my wardrobe for winter is a tuxedo jacket; the specific design of which is etched upon my brain so indelibly but is so unlikely to exist in reality, that I'm going to actually design and have it made - and the Balmain fringed ankle boots. You know what they say, "If it's good enough for Emmanuelle Alt..." They do say that don't they? I forgot all about this until recently when I tried to get on the waiting list at Net-A-Porter for said boots. Full. How pathetic? Trying to get on a waiting list for shoes and failing I mean. The whole idea of a waiting list for anything except a life saving operation puts me off but I do really like these boots. I was all into the justification of buying them (Possibility of resembling ice cool French fashion editor! Leg lengthening! Wear with dresses! Skirts! Jeans!) when I realised they're going to be £725. Seven hundred and twenty five British pounds. I'm all for buying quality things not very often, rather than cheap things often but they are rather seasonal aren't they? And scrambling after "It" items is more than a tad passe...

p.s. I'm sad that Mayle is the latest label to close and I never even bought a piece, despite loving the collection from back when it was called Phare. (Note that Jane Mayle says it's not due to bad sales or debt like the other labels that have sunk recently.)

11 comments:

Fashionista Diary said...

mayle are closing down??? i only just discovered this label! sad news indeed.. mhh and balmain boots... zara are selling similar ones, might be worth checking out? xo

Anonymous said...

love emmanuelle alt's style...and it is a shame for mayle folding...i liked her stuff....
nancy

coquette said...

Yeah, I was really sad to read about Mayle too -- you probably know this, but her Dad wrote A Year in Provence...

Re: fringed booties. I never used to touch the shoes at Zara until Garance told me that she wears them all the time and they're quite comfty. Now I'm quite into them too, although sometimes there's something wonky and mass produced about the design... Hit or miss. They have black heeled suede, front lace booties right now that are pretty close but I haven't tried them on yet.... No fringe, though. Sadly.

Claire said...

Oh yes, I always thought Peter Mayle must have funded her business but in an interview she said he absolutely didn't and I thought good for you! I'm sure she'll go on to do something as interesting...

I'll check out the Zara booties - Topshop has done some too for £65 (also fringeless but with a peep toe) and I was going to post those too but when I looked at the pic next to the Balmain ones they looked totally crap!

Anonymous said...

oh i didn't know that peter mayle was her father!!!
nancy

Stacy said...

mayle is closing! no!

loveology said...

Ah, that's so sad Mayle is closing. I love the label, althought i own nothing of it.

Sad!

:) Mila.

coquette said...

I didn't even notice the first comment recommending the Zara ones :)

Btw, you'll never believe who was at the Bon Marche today: SOFIA.

It was my first sighting!

Anonymous said...

ok....now i am totally jealous that "coquette. saw sofia!!! ok...why am I not in paris...?????????
nancy

S. said...

Head over to zara..they have a great copy of the Balmain boots...! :)

Claire said...

I tried them on but they were strangely too blatantly exactly like the Balmain ones rather than "inspired by" - my feet also looked like those dogs, what are they called, that look like they have dreadlocks...not quite refined enough!