Wednesday, June 11, 2008

ON THE BEACH...


I've been meaning to post these photos for ooh, about as long as I've been writing this blog. But it entailed all this taking the frame off the wall, fiddling around with it, scanning and cropping you see. Am lazy. Hadn't you guessed?

The people in the photos are my family, which is a weird thought as I've no idea who the hell they are per se, but I am assured they are definitely my people. I don't know when the pictures were taken, though I thought they had a date on the back in pencil - it was either 1921 or 1931 - and an illegible place name. That's either faded away or it was on another old photo and I got it mixed up as there's nothing there now. I enjoy the mystery and I love looking at the photos and thinking what kind of lives they had. They look pretty happy don't they? I love that the women look like they're having a whale of a time striking poses in their palazzo pants.
{photos: family photos, courtesy of me}

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the photos are just soooooooooooo amazing and breathtaking!!! love the third one....it's like Leni Riefenstahl meets Salvador DalĂ­ meets Man Ray...(hehehe, get the idea?)
nancy

Anonymous said...

oooh! they're wonderful. A nice game could be trying to guess the correct date by looking at the clothes and hairstyles. I'd go for1931. Maybe.
xox
Mia

Claire said...

yeah I think it's 1931 too...the top one makes me think of The Great Gatsby and the second of Isadora Duncan - dates notwithstanding!

Anonymous said...

do you think they're doing eurythmics? very popular at the time, if dh lawrence is to be believed.

la femme said...

Thanks for sharing those... I like old photos so much more when the subjects look happy. Gorgeous pants too.

Anonymous said...

They seem to be making a triangle. The woman on the bottom symbolizes another side probably. Neat pics.