Saturday, September 30, 2006

LOVING LOVISA...



Since Paris Fashion Week starts tomorrow I thought it was a good time to profile a Paris based designer whose elusive clothes I've been chasing for most of this year.
I've briefly swooned over Lovisa Burfitt's aesthetic here before. What makes her clothes all the more covetable is the difficulty in actually buying any of them. The Burfitt collection is only stocked at TwoSee here in London, and they never have more than one or two pieces which are of course never the ones I want. In June I had an appointment to view the whole Burfitt collection at her press office in Paris and - laziness strikes again, I thought I'll just go and have a look in the shops that stock her collection instead. I went to all of them - admittedly there's only a few, such as Olga, and the collection is only produced in small runs. Could I find even one T - shirt? As soon as the shops received the T-shirts featuring her trademark illustrations of Kate Moss, or any of her supercute sailor shorts, they were snapped up. The shorts are now available online at Creatures of Comfort for those of you lucky enough to have no thighs. And that's the thing. It's more the whole vibe that gets my heart racing. The styling and photographs by Julia Hetta on the Burfitt website and the distinctive Lovisa look of previous collections.

I could never pull off those sailor shorts, (probably couldn't even get them on, harhar) and although I love the little mask and headpiece things, they're more of an editorial fantasy item than something I'd actually wear. Burfitt isn't on the official Paris show schedule but I'm sure she'll be presenting her collection somehow, somewhere low key in Paris and I'm pretty sure it will be amazing.
I reckon Selfridges will eventually pick up on her in a year or two, like they did with Vanessa Bruno and Isabel Marant. But for now I'll content myself with imagining I'm the kind of girl who could rock super long stirrup leggings and a white canvas micro rompersuit with heels. Sigh.


all images Julia Hetta
p.s: Lovisa's illustration work ain't too shabby either...

2 comments:

la femme said...

I love Lovisa Burfitt's work as well, but like you I am more attracted to the overall styling and photography than just the clothing. Her fashion sketches are great too.

The new Bust finally arrived in stores here. I just bought it and am going to make a cup of tea and read your article now...

Anonymous said...

I'm looking in from my new mac window, it all looks so pretty on OSX, cant wait to read up all your posts properly...looks lovely.x