Thursday, August 03, 2006

PARIS, PARIS...PARIS...


Yes it's that time again. I just booked my ticket for my next trip to Paris in early September. I'm only going for a few days but I still get that little tingle of excitement every time, even though it has become a kind of normality to be back and forth, and my last couple of visits there were, ahem - mixed. I have a back log of kick arse places I didn't have space to mention last time because I kept posting about how I wanted to kick various Parisian arses. So I might post about those places in anticipation. The best feeling I ever have in Paris is in discovering somewhere absolutely new to me. I think I still have a kind of fantasy Paris in my head that exists from before I ever set foot in the city, and which I'm still searching for.

I already have a long list of places I want to go next time thanks to the lovely blogosphere, including the Balenciaga exhibit at the Musee de la Mode et du Textile - thanks to BP for the heads up. And thanks to Julia in both her guises, I have a good few places to check out via The Flaneur by Edmund White. There's always, always somewhere new. You could live in Paris for years and keep discovering new places.

So, here's a plan: If anyone has a favourite place in Paris that I may not have been to, it can be as out of the way as you like - a cafe, bar, museum, shop, street - anything - let me know via the comments or email me and I'll check it out and post about it, thus allowing you to actually be there vicariously! Kind of.

9 comments:

RD said...

Not much of a Paris expert myself. Everyone knows it, but still worth a vist:
Chez Angelina
226 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris
Tel: +33 (0) 1 42 60 82 00
Sometimes being surrounded by tourists is worth it. I'm sure there's a picture or vase or two at the Louvre that justify its crowds. At Angelina it is the Chocolat a l'Africain. So if at any point you've blown your cover you might as well head here.

La Charlotte de l'Isle
24 rue Saint-Louis-En-L'Isle (4ème) tel 01 43 54 25 83
Transposition is one of the pleasures in life. Take something you like, but it into a different setting, and you might like it better. A charming place for a cup of tea.

Cheers,

BB

Claire said...

Merci BB! I admit I have never been to Angelina. I will go! And Ile St Louis for a cuppa - can't think of anything better...

Anonymous said...

Am I jealous? Raging green with jealousy? Um, kinda sorta but I am so happy you will go and SHARE your adventures for those of us who must, for now, live vicariously through you-- can't wait!!

~bluepoppy

Julia said...

Tres jalouse! But your posts are almost as good as being there, so I look forward to September.

Yes, Angelina's. I posted about it in Une Flaneuse. A must. Pick up the latest Elle and savour every sip of that magical hot chocolate while pouring over the mag. (And Collette is just around the corner).

L'as du falafel in Rue de Rossiers. I'm not a HUGE falafel person but I went there twice it's so good, and the atmosphere is fun (and wash it down with that gorgeous citronnade).

No more recs though - we all know the magic of Paris is discovering the little treasures yourself...

Anonymous said...

Hi, maybe we can share a drink while you ll be in Paris ? I know zillion of places you would love. just ask La Coquette if you want, or check the Paris section of my blog :-)

Claire said...

BB - just re read that you said RUE St Louis en L'Isle not Ile St Louis - got it!

BP - I'm living vicariously through you on the lake at the moment so it's only fair!

Julia- when I read your post I thought I really have to go to Angelina finally! I've always heard about it but never passed it by chance on Rue de Rivoli...I will make it a must this time even if it's sweltering.

Negrito - I am honoured!

RD said...

It is on the Ile St. Louis though. Conveninetly, or dangerously, it is a few doors down from Berthillon. Cheers, BB

la femme said...

Oooh la la! Again already? I wish I lived in London and was as close as you to the City of Lights. Someday...

I love reading about the places you discover in Paris- you and Julia have had much influence on the {very} loose itinerary I have constructed for my visit there this month.

First stop after CDG airport- Angelina's for the famous chocolat chaud. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Run Around Paris said...

I think you should try the Le Gambetta bistro in the 11th Arrondissement. They serve a great salmon salad, really good quiche and what I think are the best profiteroles in Paris! The atmosphere is very relaxing, too. It's a great place to eat alone when you have postcards to write.

I'm headed to Paris in September as well, and I can't wait.

Have a safe trip!

Erin